Exercising using different poses can present many challenges, including discomforts or injuries, if not careful. Many poses are either against the floor or the wall, especially in yoga. Escaping the hard feel of the surface is impossible without proper gear.
Every pose requires support and that the importance of a Yoga bolster. These are sturdy but soft to the touch, and very comfy. Since they are quite many launching into the market, selecting one poses a challenge.
7 Best Yoga Bolsters
The decision might be confusing, and having a purchase guide helps ease the burden. Also, here are some of the basic designs or models that appeal to too many. The strict process used in the selection makes them the right choice.
Cotton made Pranayama Prop by YogaAccessories – (quality and affordable)
A price friendly quality yoga support gear with a special design for Pranayama. The 25 by 6 by 3 inches in shape and size is a bit smaller compared to other models. However, the design works smoothly for deep, fast, and quiet types of breathing.
Also, useful in providing support to your backbone/spine when you stretch and pose. Perform any Yoga, move comfortably, and relax.
- Four-sided in shape
- Suitable for machine washing
- Stuffed and covered with cotton material
- Comes with two grip sides
- Stable and offers sturdy support
Pros and Cons
Rectangular Prop by Gaiam – (environmental-friendly)
The environmentally-friendly aims to remind each individual that we a part of a living system. As a brand, it focuses on its sustainability. The name Gaiam refers to Earth as the mother of all. Thus, it is a brand for all-conscious customers who value the environment.
Get one of these as it employs a design that is suitable for relaxing and meditating. Regardless of the pose you choose, receive sturdy support. Feel the soft fabric, and enjoy the cotton batting. The overall model ensures you remain comfortable all through the Yoga session.
- Perfect four-sided figure
- Stuffed with polyester that is quite soft
- Comes with a single but firm grip handle
- Normal cotton batting
Pros and Cons
Yoga Bolster Products by Bean – (versatile designs custom-made)
The brand prides itself in customizing any bolster following customer instructions. Both circular and four-sided bolster models give you adequate support. Through a forward bend or a chest breather and opener, the round works better than the rectangular one.
If it’s a Shavasana, either offer superior support but for a Viparita Karani where the lower back, legs wall-lined and hips require backing, the oblong works better. Also, any stretches while sitting will deliver maximum effects.
- Two shapes to choose from: round or rectangular
- Circular is nine by 27 inches in width and length while the oblong is 25 by 12by 6 inches
- The cover is made of cotton
- The inner casing has a softer muslin cotton material
- Manufacturers are in the US
Pros and Cons
Zafu bolster for meditation by Peace Yoga – (versatile and flexible in Yoga positions)
The popular brand offers flexible and sturdy bolsters offering maximal balance. The filling allows the bolster to shape following your current posture while maintaining support. Your spine remains firm, comfortable, and without any pressure through the session.
Resolve any problems with your spine by using this product. Remember to clean the cover carefully and not with a machine as it shrinks. Hang outside under the sun for it to dry.
- Comes in a disk shape for Zafu and many other shapes and dimensions
- The cover is made of cotton, and you can remove and wash
- Stuffed with buckwheat for flexibility and backing while stretching
- An easy-grip handle to carry
Pros and Cons
Round supportive bolster by YogaAccessories – (best for restorative and prenatal stretches)
The manufacturer is a dominant company offering variety in models and a range of prices to suit your budget. They come in different makes that are firm to the touch and sleek in appearance.
They are perfect for individuals undergoing restorative stretches and healthy exercises for pregnant mothers. Whenever you need support for the spine, lift your legs while asleep, these work fine. Use cold water to avoid the material shrinking even when using a machine.
- Cylindrical in shape
- Measurements are 28 by 10 inches in length and girth
- Stuffed using cotton batting
- The cover is made of cotton with zips
- Has two different and sturdy handles
- You can wash using a machine
Pros and Cons
Lotus Crafts by Yoga Accessories – (best for Invigorating and Yin Yoga)
The bolster is a well-known brand from YogaAccessories. It is often useful in Yin Yoga, and those requiring recuperative Yoga exercise end up using it.
The cover composed of natural cotton is easy to remove, clean, and reattach to the bolster. Manufacture and use aims to preserve the environment.
- Four-sided in shape
- 28 by 12 by 8 inches in dimension
- The cover is removable and made of cotton
- Uses environmental conscious colors/dyes
- Uses drawstrings in place of zips
- Comes with a string instead of a handle
Pros and Cons
Supportive Cotton Bolster by Yoga Accessories – (Best recommended)
It is one of the popular models from Yoga Accessories. The brand has several varieties, including design, bolster size, and colors. It is perfect for straddling and aids in straightening your back while clearing your mind through meditation.
For recuperation or energy reviving mechanisms during pregnancy, this yoga gear is for you—the sturdy feel of the prop and the cotton batting filling the inside offer you adequate backing. Remove the outer cover and wash it if it starts to stain.
- Quite large with 24 by 12 by 6 inches in dimensions
- Four-sided in shape
- Stuffing’s are made of cotton
- Has two different grip handles
Pros and Cons
Best Yoga Bolster Purchase Guide
Using the Bolster
Yoga gear, in this case, the bolster is perfect for several reasons. You can sit, sleep on, and pose in many different ways while stretching and working out your muscles. At the same, you get a chance to meditate, eliminate stress, and relax.
You recuperate and re-energize using the right bolster type. The type of yoga pose you intend to perform determines the type of prop to get.
Yoga Bolster Models
The model is similar to that of a cushion or a pillow. However, what differentiates them is their strength, sturdy feel, and unique shapes they employ. Each design comes with a specific purpose.
- Regular – The regular design, many purchases, and designed by different brands is a rectangle. The shape provides the perfect backing for individuals aiming for recuperative yoga stretches and poses. However, that does not limit its versatility, which extends to every other pose ever invented.
- Circular – the round pillow forms a cylindrical shape. It is perfect for generating comfort, especially in poses allowing you to rest your body on hard floor surfaces like in Shavasana. Besides, it proves useful in recuperative yoga stretches.
- Zafu – you may think it does not work, but the round stool like design is perfect for any meditation pose you wish to undertake. Besides, it employs the streaks of traditional poses while meditating.
Pranayama- this a comfortable design allowing uses to practice different forms of breathing exercises while meditating. The shape follows the circular bolster, but the size is a bit smaller in comparison. They are useful when practicing deep breathes as they help expand the chest. However, their functionality, especially if the pressure is too high and needs more support, is imperfect.
Related Post: battle ropes for beginners
Considerations to Make When Buying Yoga Gears (bolsters)
You need to make detailed lists of what to look for in your Yoga prop. Several factors should define your perfect choice.
- Shape – as indicated in the review, each shape works for a specific pose or purpose when performing a Yoga session. The size also plays a great deal in providing support or in producing a relaxing posture. Make sure that each design or model you select will work towards fulfilling your Yoga needs.
- Fabric – these determine personal comfort in any session, how long the bolster will last, and the ease of maintenance. Each fabric includes several degrees of comfort with cotton leading the pile. It is comfortable, brings variety in colors and patterns, sturdy and durable. Washing can present difficulties as it is prone to shrinking. Other covers such as polyester are easy to clean and have similar benefits to cotton.
- Filling – the content present inside the prop plays a huge role in the bolster you choose. Manufacturers employ the use of buckwheat, which is flexible and moves around your pose and reshapes ones you lift. Synthetic fibers also do the trick. However, one has to be sure that the bolsters reshape after use. Also, make sure you are not allergic to the stuffing before making a purchase.
- Environment – as a Yoga enthusiast, you already know the philosophical beliefs that many who practice it have. One of these is their attachment to the environment and the overall ecology. Preserving and maintaining the cleanliness of the planet as a whole is a priority for every buyer. Pay attention to manufacturers who keep this in mind and productivity while reducing any ecological effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it important for me to get a Yoga gear (bolster)?
A: No and Yes. Well, there are many stretches you can partake in during a Yoga session that will not need any form of support. A soft pillow or a suitable cushion might solve the problem when it arises. However, the experience may not be as good as with a bolster. You may also end up hurt.
Yes, because the bolster is an important part of a variety of moves pertinent to any Yoga session. It provides you with a balance that otherwise lacks and induces stability once you can pose right. Also, you minimize the chances of getting hurt.
Furthermore, a prop helps align your body to fit the posture, whether seated or while your legs are up against the wall.
Q: I can see very many models in shapes and sizes. Which one do I get?
A: Each shape, size, or model has a specific purpose. For instance, the Zafu is around, but stool like design suitable for use while sitting during meditation. Four-sided shaped bolsters are perfect for back support, while Pranayama is good for straddling and breathing routines. Manufacturers take into consideration the purpose of the purchase before designing it. Pregnant women often seek rectangular designs.
Q: what should be my budget range when purchasing a bolster?
A: Determining how much to spend on your select bolster is dependent on several factors. These include the purpose of the purchase, what if you are in search of other factors such as shape, dimensions, ease of maintenance, and the kind of stuffing it has texture or feel of the cover. How reputable the brand you choose is may also determine the amount you spend.
Q: Yoga blocks and bolster, what is the difference?
A: These serve the same purpose in providing adequate backing. However, the block is compact while the bolster is soft to the touch but sturdy when you apply pressure.
The bolster backs you up, but it also aligns your body posture, stabilizes your poses, and ensures you retain balance. On the other hand, blocks are extensions allowing you to support yourself when performing complex moves such as the frontward bend position.
The above products provide in-depth knowledge of what to choose when shopping for Yoga gear, especially bolsters. They are representatives of what is currently launching into the market. Also, they provide a firm guideline of what to expect and the best uses of each.
It is fundamental to look at the considerations one should make, identify possible benefits of each, and the different designs available. Any information you gather would be useful in making the right decision.
Now, you have all the power in your hands, and you can make the purchase easily!
I have a couple of Pranayama Cotton Yoga bolsters, so this one works for things the others are too big for. It’s good quality, the material seems tough and durable. The purple colour is beautiful, just as shown.
Love Supportive Round Cotton, great length, great selection of colours to coordinate with the living room
Bean bolster is far and away the best I have ever had though, because it has a removable cover. Previously I have had to go through the rigamarole of unpicking the stitching and pouring out the filler beads into tins (the beads stick to plastic boxes because of static
I loved the Bean bolster quality and just as I had planned it
never gave me the option to choose the color, but black is very good